27 July, 2013

Photos from Paris

I've returned from my month of archaeology in the Auvergne region of France. We ended up excavating two historical sites, one from the Medieval era and one from the Modern era. None of us besides our French colleagues, since we normally do prehistoric work, had any idea what was going on! It was still a great experience though, and some aspects of the finds were very interesting even for those of us that prefer periods before the invention of writing.

I'll have photos from both sites up in a few days, but since I've got back in the country my focus has been getting the 100+ photos I took during my three day stay in Paris I set aside prior to hopping on the train to Clermont-Ferrand processed.

The iconic Eiffel Tower from the top of the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile

If you didn't follow my Tumblr postings, I managed to see quite a few of the city's famous sites in the few short days I had there.  The final list comes out to:

  • The Eiffel Tower
  • The Arc de Triomphe de l’Étoile
  • The Lourve
  • Sainte-Chapelle /Palais de Justice
  • The Tomb of Napoleon/Musée de l’Armée/Les Invalides
  • Notre Dame and the archaeological crypt in front of it
  • Musée Rodin
  • The Mémorial des Martyrs de la Déportation
  • The home of Victor Hugo
  • Cimetière du Montparnasse
  • Numerous city parks
In total there are 117 photos in the set. All were taken with a Nikon D5100 with Nikkor 18-55mm zoom lens. Truth be told, some of them came out a little more noisy than I'd like, but that was combination of several factors (not having time to dial up the settings I wanted, restriction on flash use, etc. etc.), but I'm generally happy with the set, and I think there are a few real gems in there.

Statue of Louis IX inside Sainte-Chapelle
The set can be found on Flickr here, or on Google+ here.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment